Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lost in translation

...is not just the title of a movie. It's been our life for the past month. After our dossier made it's way to China and we received our log-in date, we began the wait for LOA. Part of that wait includes a brief jaunt (or in our case, a very not-so-brief) to the translation company to be translated. In China adoption this is referred to as the "in translation" period of the LOA wait. It then heads back to the CCCWA where it signed, stamped, or whatever mystery occurs during the "in review" stage and then the LOA is issued. Last go around, as I'm sure I've mentioned 1,001 times, our total wait for our LOA was 53 days. This time we are up to 91 1/2 (technically 92 if we go by China time) and are still in translation. It is said to take an additional 2-6 weeks for us to be issued an LOA from the time it is returned by the translation company. As you can imagine, this is a very challenging part of the process for someone who has been called a "pit bull" by her mother for her nagging, impatient tendancies in the past. I tend to cling on to things and not let go. I will say, I was pretty calm until the second month. However, once we passed day 53, and then the second month, I began to unravel. Three Friday's ago we were informed by our agency that they called China to get a status update on when they expected our dossier back and were told the very next week. Everyday that week I waited....and waited....and waited....and whined to co-workers....and whined to Jason....and whined on Faceboook.....and whined and whined and whined. Every day it did not come. Last week I was told that had they not heard anything by the end of the week that they would call and get another update. Well, again with the waiting! Last Friday after no news all week, I learned that they had attempted to call China to no avail. Our agency was actually not successful in contacting the necessary person until last night. So today I heard the news I've been waiting for. TONIGHT China is supposedly switching our status from "in translation" to "in review." This will be good....VERY VERY GOOD! I am trying not to get my hopes up, because I've heard this before. However, I really, really want to believe it. We had determined that we'd ask for an update after LOA. That has suddendly been changed to "we'll ask for an update after you're switched to 'in review'" by our agency representative. She feels my pain and wants to give us something. So with that being said, hoepfully there is news on the horizon. We are looking forward to our letter. We are looking forward to an update. We are looking forward to seeing sweet pictures of our baby half way around the world. All will be alright soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment